2009/02/02

J'ai lu, Janvier 2009

I didn't really make New Year's Resolutions this year, but one thing I determined is to read consistently and intentionally in 2009. I set my goal at 4 books a month (theoretically, 1 per week), but I finished 5 in January, so that's the new goal. You have the pleasure of reading my reviews, several of which I would highly recommend if you're in the market for literary greatness. Most of these belong to me and are available for loan if you're sincerely interested.

A Severe Mercy (Vanauken) – An absolutely outstanding biography of a young couple’s love, search for truth, and ultimate conversion. Letters between the author and C.S. Lewis throughout adds to its power and appeal. Mentally and spiritually stimulating and emotionally moving. A must. (10)



Sex. God. (Bell) – I read this for the second time. Bell does an excellent job of presenting his thoughts on love, sex, marriage and their relation to spirituality. I especially appreciate his knowledge of Jewish tradition and culture and the ways he is able to show its significance in Christianity. (9)


The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Rowling) – A short collection of “wizarding” fairy tales inspired by the Harry Potter series. A cute and fun read for anyone who has read and enjoyed Rowling’s other masterpieces. (8)



Searching for God Knows What (Miller) – An apologetic of sorts seeking to define Christianity on a “relational” level rather than a formulaic list of bullet points. Entertaining and colorful, and certainly plenty of opportunities for discussion, but not my favorite apologetic or my favorite work by Miller. (7)

Sex, Drugs, & Cocoa Puffs (Klosterman) – A fairly cynical critique of American postmodern society and pop culture phenomena. Klosterman’s sarcasm is entertaining, at least, and his perspectives will be amusing to anyone born pre-1990. (7)

I am loving this. I am also accepting recommendations. Sally, I am willing to read books in English by Russian authors, but not books in Russian...by any author. Just a disclaimer. Stayin ahead of the game.

4 comments:

  1. you are amazing. Would you read a book in other languages other than English or Russian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, that's two mentions (is that word a noun?) in two posts. If you want Russian, read We or The Master and Margarita, or One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. If you want a general suggestion, read Oscar Wilde or East of Eden by Steinbeck. I have more, but that should last you a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your book reveiw, my love. It is much more in-depth than Douglas' but still with the number rating goodness. :) You are one grandola reader --Jena

    ReplyDelete