2011/01/06

The College Student's Guide to Saving the Most Money Possible when Buying Textbooks

My first semester of classes at OU, I spent upwards of $400 on textbooks. This cost seemed extravagant, even at the time, but it seemed a financial burden that had to be borne, regardless of my desires against it.

What became even more troublesome, however, was selling books at the end of the semester in an attempt to regain back some of the lost capital that had been spent for these books. "I bought this book for $140, you want to give me how much back for it?"

Unsettled and unsatisfied by the bookstore's feeble attempt at making it seem as though they were not committing robbery and extortion, I began to explore some other options. Ebay seemed a good route to go, but sometimes auction prices did not quite reach the amount I felt the books should be valued at, and so I continued to search.

Lo and Behold, it was sometime during that sophomore year that I finally began to employ Amazon as my primary book source. While comparing textbook prices with those at the bookstore I was astonished to see how much money I could save -- and even better, how much money I could earn selling books after the semester ended!

I have stuck by this method (while experimenting with others: such as rentals, library reserves, sharing with friends in the same class, etc) over the last two years, and think that this semester I have hit the jackpot in regards to the amount of books I am receiving for the amount of money I will be paying. I am so proud.

"This must be shared!" I exclaimed to myself, "That others might know there is another way!"

So here is the research and the results that I had this semester in book shopping. I hope it inspires you to spend a little more time to save a lot more money!

By exploring options such as comparing Amazon prices, using the OU library reserves, checking out OU library books early in the semester, and comparing publisher's prices with those that the bookstore offers, I was able to save a significant amount of money on the formidable cost of books that the bookstore would have given me. Here's the savings breakdown:

It's definitely worth the extra time -- I'd love to help you out with this if you're interested in getting the most money for your purchases as possible!

Sticking it to the man FTW.

5 comments:

  1. how do you sell books back on Amazon? I ended up with about 11 from an Honors class that are just lying around my apartment, and I've never sold stuff online before...help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurel!

    Selling is easy! It takes some time when you first get started to be able to process funds and things like that, but here's the place to get more information and I'd love to help you more with any questions you have after you set up your seller account!

    http://www.amazonservices.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm?ld=AZFSSOA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for doing the legwork for me. Unfortunately, your about 5 years too late to help me. Good stuff nonetheless!! -Shane and Shari

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've always been so Ebay/Amazons/Everything-else-on-the-web savvy. I just saw the "bowling alone" book on Bekah's bookshelf yesterday and died laughing at the title. I'm glad to know she isn't the only one with a copy.... :) Love you the mostest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie! I have all 4 of those books from my capstone if you want to borrow them this semester and then just give them back to me after you graduate so you dont have to go to the library every time you have an assignment!

    and I think you are brilliant! A lot of times I wont even buy the book because it's not even used in class!!

    ReplyDelete