2010/12/23

The Post

Today I went to visit my sister, Anna, and friend, Charles, at their mutual place of employment - Great Harvest Bread Co.

I love Great Harvest for several reasons.

#1 - free samples when you walk in the door. Not dinky, Sam's-sized samples - but legitimate slices of warm bread with butter.

#2 - Everything is organic and homemade and delicious. You can watch them grind the wheat into flour right there in the store! It's like going back in time.

#3 - You can sit in there forever and drink all the free water you want.

So I did all of these things on this particular visit.

They also have a wide selection of newspapers from around the country that you can borrow to read while you are there.

I don't think I know very much about things that are going on in the world. I hear about things here and there, and if I hear a little about something that sounds big I might go searching for some extra information on Wikipedia or CNN.

So today, after reading through most of the New York Times while enjoying my Charles-made sandwich and snickerdoodle cookie with Christmas-colored sprinkles, I thought, "Huh, maybe I should know more about things."

So I think I might order to take the paper at our house. It seems like an investment in knowledge. And as much as I'd like it, the Oklahoma Daily simply will never really provide much breaking news.

What do you think? Is the newspaper on its way out the back door, with blogs and online news becoming the new way of life?

3 comments:

  1. huzzah for newspaper readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate reading the newspaper. But that's probably because of Writing for Mass Media and our everyday newspaper quizzes. But yes, it is def out the back door. It won't be long until the number of papers is significantly reduced. You can read articles of the NYT online if you really want the knowledge :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading the newspaper! If you subscribed to the Wall Street Journal, I would be overjoyed!

    ReplyDelete